U.S. Supplement Category Sales by Channel, 2001-2021
This single-tab raw data chart shows consumer sales of supplements across 6 primary categories and channels, with actuals from 2001-2020.
- Herbs/ Botanicals
- Sports Nutrition
- Meal Supplements
- Natural and Specialty Retail represents natural, health food, supplement and specialty retail outlets.
- Mass Market Retail represents grocery, drug, mass merchandise, club and convenience stores.
- Mail Order represents catalogs, direct mail, direct response TV and direct response radio.
- Practitioners represent conventional and alternative practitioners selling to their patients as well as heath clubs.
- MLM represents multi-level marketers or network marketers.
- Internet represents direct to consumer sales made online through brands' ecommerce channels and retailers like Amazon
View an empty version of this data chart
Source: Nutrition Business Journal, US consumer sales all channels in $mil, sums may not add up due to rounding.
Nutrition Business Journal primary research includes NBJ survey of natural food, supplement and NPC manufacturers, distributors, MLM firms, mail order, internet and raw material companies. Secondary sources include SymphonyIRI Group, Natural Foods Merchandiser, OTC Update, SPINS/Nielsen, The Hartman Group, Frost & Sullivan and others.